Over the course of our lives some of us wished for that wise grandma, grandpa, aunt or uncle that could have given us a good dose of advice on what we were going to face when we grew up (unfortunately, not all of us were so fortunate to have had that). That invaluable wisdom from such dear ones often builds strong character traits in us and serves as an anchor when dealing with real-life challenges. As we inevitably face those difficulties wading through life's journey, it would be nice to be able to draw up strength from those words of wisdom echoing in our minds. During those times when we feel as if we're losing our footing and sense of direction not knowing where to go, what to do, what to think, how to feel or how long we're going to stay in that state of wander, I find it important to create and keep a checklist of great words of wisdom to ponder over that can help stabilize shaky emotions and thus keep balanced thinking.
Here's a compilation of 45 lessons in life that I peruse through every once in a while on the days that I need a little mental redirect. It's such a good one because it has some things on there that just make me laugh and laughter is such a great way to lighten any mood. Since sharing is caring, I wanted to share it with you my dear readers. If nothing else, I hope these small lessons will at least give you some things to think about and somehow become helpful in your daily living.
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Your job won't take care of you when you're sick. Your parents and friends will. Stay in touch.
5. What you vow pay. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree. Haven't you seen Ramona Singer?
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. It's ok to ask God questions. He has all the answers.
9. Learn and practice kindness.
10. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
11. It's ok to let your children see you cry.
12. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
13. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry, God never blinks.
14. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
15. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
16. Whatever doesn't kill really does make you stronger.
17. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
18. The most important sex organ is the brain.
19. No one is in charge of your happiness, but you.
20. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
21. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
22. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
23. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
24. Burn the candle, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today
25. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words "In five years, will this matter?"
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive everyone everything.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else really does.
33. Don't let jealousy and envy stop you from supporting a friend.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative - dying young.
37. Your children only get one childhood, so don't deny them of it.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
42. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
43. Friends are the family that we choose for ourselves. So choose wisely.
44. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
45. The best is yet to come.